Musings From Morton

Call this a spot to just put stuff I find and thoughts that I have. Who knows who will visit but in the end the site isn't here to get visitors but to just put... stuff.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Were We That Bad?

I will admit that I rarely watch much tv news these days. It bothers me that I don't, especially since I came from that world. The problem is that local television news is so bad these days. What shakes me the most is the question that I ask right after I watch a bad newscast... Was I or the people I worked with just as bad? The answer is always "we couldn't have been..." but who is to say. The internet and blogs weren't around for us to find out for sure.

That takes me back to the Dana Carvey skit where he plays the grumpy old man on SNL News my favorite line from that skit was:

"Life was a carnival! We entertained ourselves! We didn't need moooovin' pitchurrrres. In my day, there was only one show in town -- it was called "Stare at the sun!" ... That's right! You'd sit in the middle of an open field and stare up at the sun till your eyeballs burst into flames! And you thought, "Oh, no! Maybe I shouldn't've stared directly into the burning sun with my eyes wide open." But it was too late! Your head was on fire and people were roastin' chickens over it. ... And that's the way it was and weeee liked it!"

Thanks again to the internet for being able to find the actual words.

So the follow up question I ask myself is always why do I think it is so bad? In most cases it seems like the stories are poorly put together with no real flow. The stories for the most part aren't creative when they can be creative, and not hard hitting or in depth when they need to be either. What happened to the market developing quality reporters like it did in Peoria 10-15 years ago. Jay Shatz, LP Phillips, Fraser Engerman, Dana Koslov, Anna Werner just to name a few.

Those reporters put time into a story or at least learned a bit about it before so they were at least somewhat ready and had an idea about what was going on. A for instance... When Cat does it's quarterly release the story on the news today reads almost verbatim the press release that Cat puts out. Now I'm not saying that Big Yellow isn't telling the truth but listen to the analysts call and hear what they are asking and hitting on. It's easier now then ever since it's on the internet! Do some basic learning on any number of web sites explaining how to read a financial statement. Instead I see the Cat press release which I could have gotten off the internet and read. I'd be willing to bet that if asked any of the reporters in Peoria what a 10Q is and where you could find one they would just stare dazed and confused at you.

I was always taught by my parents that if you have something negative to say be sure to offer a solution since being negative without offering a solution isn't any better then the problem you are complaining about. Well I wish I could offer a long term solution. In the short term I guess I would suggest watching a lot of winning NPPA videos (national press photographers association. The group has regular contests for best news stories based on writing and video together) and a subscription to the local newspaper of their choice. See if they can't sneak into the assignment editors story pile and be prepared for the coming days story or come in with one that is fresh and well researched and not done by Time Magazine or one of the local papers. Finally... try and do an in depth piece sometime OTHER then sweeps.

4 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Jeff Nau said...

Welcome to the blogging community, I'll post a little plug for you at my site.

Very interesting post.

Jeff
peoriatv.blogspot.com

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The answer to your question about reporters developing stories is a simple one.

The 3 shops in town do more news than they did 15 years ago. There didn't used to be morning news or noon news. But the 3 shops did not expand their reporting staffs when they added newscasts. The news directors wants stories TODAY. Now! They won't allow reporters to work on pieces for 3 or 4 days (or a mnths for a truly investigative style piece).

So two things happen; the viewer doesn't get the substance you are asking for in your post and these young reporters never truly learn how to be reporters.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger lycosboy said...

Jeff, Thanks! I have to say I thought I would remain somewhat anonymous for a little bit but don't mind getting noticed I guess.

As for Anonymous I don't know that I disagree with what you say. It's a sad day in my book when quantity is more important then quality. Maybe a follow up post is how in my opinion economics has dictated the direction of news. As easy as it would be for me to say that the reporters themeselves are to blame I can't really say that. If the boss wants more news they boss wants more news.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's absolutely quantity over quality. When reporters cover those Cat pressers, they're usually squeezed in between two otehr stories. Hell, there's even a real good chance there is no reporter. Just a photographer rolling on the presser. He takes it back, an anchor or producer listens just long enough to get a soundbite and it goes on the air.

Stories are done for today. You don't know what your going to be working on tomorrow and you have no time before you get sent out today to do any kind of research on a story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home